Monday, August 30, 2010

An Average Man

I am an average man, and an average friend,
On average heart, and average lungs, on average I depend.
These average breaths and average beats fuel an average mind.
Whose intellect and discipline pass through an average time.

But should I dream to dare to dream to defy this average land.
Distract me from my deemed destiny and tear off of my hands.
The chains I've placed to fit the pace of average as I stand,
On the steps of heretofore embarrassed to expand.

And yet a sudden head rush, at these thoughts that resonate
Within my mind, my heart, my soul, I pray that I escape:
The ordinary average, established and familiar-
The commonplace and standard--the want of the material.

Like eagles far above the clouds, I let my heart fly free.
For now I finally understand as well as I believe,
That every face and every trace of commonplace I see,
Is simply respect and understanding between my soul and He.

2 comments:

  1. For all the difficulty you mentioned previously about writing this poem - it turned out really great. Really really well written :)

    ReplyDelete