Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Balance

Positive:
I spent an hour and a half talking with a marine yesterday about where he is in life, where he is going. The conversation led to potential career paths in life. I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about any of these things, but I really enjoyed his candidness and the fact that he didn't fault me for not being the most knowledgeable individual. It was one of the best conversations I have had in a while, so I tried to deconstruct it and understand why it was so great. I was greatly amazed at how simple it was to have that open conversation.

Negative:
So I just spent 15 minutes at home and got in a disagreement with one of my roommates. At first I was confused: how could you disagree with my point? Its completely valid and based in fact. The counterpoint that was presented wasn't even a point. Then I thought back to our prior conversations. I have definitely not been as tactful as I should have been with my roommate.

I have to realize that unity can be achieved through truth, but often occurs better through tact. I have my own opinions, some are true and others are flagrantly incorrect. I hope to have humility and detachment that allow my thoughts to fall away when possibly the cause of conflict.

Additionally:
I need to try harder at everything. I have been slacking a bit at work / studies. It is time to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment